Join the Lab
Please fill out the undergraduate/volunteer application form to register your interest in joining the lab. Opportunities for undergraduate involvement vary each semester.
Please email me directly with a description of your research interests and CV attached. It is best to contact me between August and October of the year you plan to apply (in the year prior to starting a graduate program). I encourage graduate applicants to apply for national fellowships and will be pleased to discuss these with you.
Graduate students are encouraged to pursue their own research questions related to themes of ongoing research in the lab. Because of this, I expect you to provide ideas and interests for future work as part of your graduate application.
I am seeking an innovative Postdoctoral Research Associate to conduct research on cryptic coralline algae, contributing to our understanding of cryptic speciation and functional ecology. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will lead seasonal fieldwork in Washington State, with opportunities for additional fieldwork in northern California and northern France.
- field experiments on algal physiology
- field experiments on competitive dynamics
- field sampling and laboratory analysis of seawater chemistry
- species identification using DNA barcoding
- lead data analysis
- PhD in biology, ecology, or a closely related field
- experience conducting fieldwork
- ability and willingness to spend weeks or months at field sites during spring and summer
- research interests in community and functional ecology and algal physiology
- strong oral and written communication skills
- ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- field experience in the rocky intertidal
- experience in plant or algal ecophysiology
- familiarity with molecular laboratory technique
Interested applicants should submit a CV, cover letter including research interests and relevant experience, a representative publication or manuscript, and list of contact information for 3 references to the application portal. Applications received by email cannot be reviewed. This position will remain open until filled. However, priority consideration will be given to applications received before January 15, 2022. Salary will follow NIH guidelines commensurate with experience. This position includes a competitive benefits package.
To apply, please find the posting here: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/217353
I encourage graduate students and postdocs to apply for fellowship funding, regardless of any funded opportunities available. The application process helps to formalize the development of research ideas and independent funding increases the flexibility of your research and how you spend your time.
For PhD students:
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowships (NDSEG)
Ford Foundation Fellowships - Dissertation Program
NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowships
Life Sciences Research Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships
Marie Curie Individual Fellowships
Ford Foundation Fellowships - Postdoctoral Program
Dreyfus Foundation Postdoctoral Program in Environmental Chemistry
NSF Ocean Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (OCE PRF)